Name:

I was previously a constitutional law and civil rights litigator and am now a journalist. I am the author of three New York Times bestselling books -- "How Would a Patriot Act" (a critique of Bush executive power theories), "Tragic Legacy" (documenting the Bush legacy), and With Liberty and Justice for Some (critiquing America's two-tiered justice system and the collapse of the rule of law for its political and financial elites). My fifth book - No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the US Surveillance State - will be released on April 29, 2014 by Holt/Metropolitan.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Today

(updated below)

My first post at Salon is here, and it concerns the sudden demands by Sen. Pat Roberts that the National Intelligence Estimate be de-classified.

Additionally, there are rapid ongoing developments with regard to the administration's efforts to forge a "compromise" to legalize its NSA warrantless eavesdropping program, as evidenced by these two reports. I will have a post up at Salon shortly about these developments, and will write more throughout the day about them. Any information on what is going on with the FISA negotiations would be appreciated (leave in Comments or feel free to e-mail me).

Finally (for now), I will be on the Sam Seder Show at roughly 10:30 a.m. EDT (20 minutes from now) to discuss the torture bill and various related matters. You can listen to the live audio feed here.

UPDATE: I have a post up now examining this weekend's changes to the McCain/Graham/Warner torture bill, which dramatically increase the scope of the administration's detention powers beyond even what the "compromise" originally provided. Because the administration knows that Democrats will not object to anything they do in these areas, they are now on the verge of consolidating some of the most tyrannical powers a government can have, literally.

Additionally, my post on the latest version of the FISA "compromise" is here. I now have the text of the "compromise" legislation and will post further on this later today.

My Ecosystem Details