Name:

I was previously a constitutional law and civil rights litigator and am now a journalist. I am the author of three New York Times bestselling books -- "How Would a Patriot Act" (a critique of Bush executive power theories), "Tragic Legacy" (documenting the Bush legacy), and With Liberty and Justice for Some (critiquing America's two-tiered justice system and the collapse of the rule of law for its political and financial elites). My fifth book - No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the US Surveillance State - will be released on April 29, 2014 by Holt/Metropolitan.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Swamped by Muslims

By Glenn Greenwald -- The following is a letter sent by Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA) to various constituents as a result of what his office claims is "a flood of e-mails from constituents in response to newly elected Minnesota Representative Keith Ellison’s declaration that he would use the Koran, not the Bible, when being sworn into Congress next month."

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to comment on this, but fortunately, not much comment is required, because it really speaks -- quite powerfully -- for itself. I wonder how long it will be before Michelle Malkin, Powerline, Fox News, National Review, Bill Kristol and friends start touting Rep. Goode for the GOP Presidential nomination:

Thank you for your recent communication. When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way.

The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran.

We need to stop illegal immigration totally and reduce legal immigration and end the diversity visas policy pushed hard by President Clinton and allowing many persons from the Middle East to come to this country.

I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped.

The Ten Commandments and “In God We Trust” are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, “As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office.”

Thank you again for your email and thoughts.

Sincerely yours,
Virgil H. Goode, Jr.
70 East Court Street
Suite 215
Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151

I was particularly moved by the way Rep. Goode stood up to the inquiring, treasonous "Muslim student." That was very brave, powerful and resolute of Rep. Goode to stand his ground. Maybe he is the Churchill we've all been hungrily craving.

Also notable was how Rep. Goode pointed out that all of this -- our being "swamped" by Muslims -- is Bill Clinton's fault. Clinton hasn't been president for six years now. Republicans have had a stranglehold on the Congress for virtually all of that time. Yet the fact that we are drowning in Muslims and Korans and the like is all due to Bill Clinton.

If you look too hard at the specific individuals who compose our Government, it is difficult to maintain any residual sense of optimism about America's future. It's just best not to look too closely at the specific individuals, because what you will see are many, many Rep. Goodes floating around.

My Ecosystem Details